Miami, a hip and somewhat romantic beach destination where the artsy feel at home. Here is a list of 5 interesting and fun things to do while visiting.
1) South Beach (Free) – South Beach is the Miami hot spot. Best known for its shopping, clubs, bars and restaurants, South Beach is the best spot for those with active night lives.
While the nightlife rages on in South Beach, it has also become somewhat of a daytime vacation paradise. South Beach is also home to clear blue waters and interesting art deco construction. Try renting a scooter to check out the sights, taking a boat tour or hopping on a Casino Cruise for a fun evening. The possibilities in South Beach are endless.
2) Zoo Miami ($) – Zoo Miami is quickly becoming one of the most renowned Zoos in the United States. Its warm, almost tropical, climate allows keeping a large variety of animals from Asia, Australia and Africa a possibility.
A really cool feature of the Miami Zoo is that it is one of the first free-range zoos in the entire country. This means that the exhibits are entirely cageless, animals are grouped together according to their natural habitats – animals that coexist peacefully in the wild are placed together at the Zoo.
3) Seaquarium – Located right, smack in the middle of the tourist area – on the causeway between downtown Miami and Biscayne, the Seaquarium is an incredibly educational and entertaining spot to check out.
Remember, the Seaquarium is very large and contains many exhibits, so be sure to allow at least half a day if you would like to fully experience it. Highlights include a trained dolphin show, Lolita the Killer Whale show, as well as feeding and training presentations.
4) Everglades – The Everglades are made up of over 1.5 million acres of swamps, wet prairies, and sub tropical jungles. The Everglades National Park is one of the most interesting and unusual public parks in the country. Located on the Southernmost part of Florida, The Everglades National Park is home to 14 rare and endangered species, including the Florida Panther, American Crocodile, and the West Indian Manatee.
Although much of the park is wild and largely unexplored, visitors are free to walk, camp and canoe in the less remote regions with little fear of getting lost or attacked by a wild animal.
5) Miami Museum of Science – The Miami Museum of Science has something for every member of the family to enjoy. The Bird of Prey Research Center and the Weintraub Observatory both reside in there.
Be sure to check out the Planetarium while you are there – it is the home of the Jack Horkheimer’s Star Gazer television show!